What is Gyan Mudra
Gyan Mudra means gaining knowledge. Regular practice of Gyan mudra increases our intelligence. Therefore, to start a yoga practice, it is very essential to know about this mudra. According to Indian astrology, our thumb is the symbol of Mars and the index finger is the symbol of Jupiter. This mudra increases the air mass, hence it is also called air boosting posture. Gyan Mudra is also the Shiromani Mudra. Most people do not know how chaotic or ignorant their actions, thoughts, or routines are. That is a mechanical or unconscious life we are living. Read about- Benefits of Dhanurasana
Steps For Gyan Mudra?
- First of all, place your mat in a flat surface
- Now sit in Sukhasana, Padmasana or Vajrasana.
- Now put both your hands on your knees and the palm of your hands should be towards the sky.
- Now the index finger has to be rounded and touch the front part of the thumb.
- Remove all thoughts and focus on your mind. Know about –Nadi Shodhana pranayama
Pose Time Duration
Do this for 15 minutes to 45 minutes. This pose can be applied while walking, sleeping, awake, waking up. The more time you spend, the more the profit will increase.
Importance of Fire Element
The thumb is the fire element and the index finger is the air element. In astrology or study of the planets, the thumb is the symbol of Mars and the index finger is the planet. The union of these two elements and planets increases the air element and the master dominates. It is also called the union of Shiva and Shakti. Without air, fire cannot burn, and fire increases with the addition of air. The thumb is a symbol of wisdom and also of fire. Therefore, the development of intelligence occurs with the union of the index finger and thumb. The thumb is a symbol of the divine and index finger. Let’s Know – Benefits of Chakrasana
Benefits of Gyan Mudra
- There is an increase in air elements due to the joining of the thumb and index finger. This removes Negative thoughts, Develops wisdom, Increases concentration, Increases memory and Develops Mental Strength.
- Excellent posture for intellectuals, thinkers, teachers, students because it increases concentration.
- There are pressure points of the brain and pituitary gland in the forefinger of the thumb and there is a point of mind on the forearm of the index finger. And that results in mental hygiene.
- It helps in knowledge fibers of the brain to be more functional.
- No matter what kind of mind a child has the power of mind starts developing quickly and the memory power is also strong. What happens when Agni and Vayu meet? Fire is intense. Mild wisdom also shines. Read – Padmasana Advantages
- Misconceptions, negative, bad thoughts are removed from the mind. Instant release from mental stress and tension related headaches are also removed. The insanity of the mind is removed by its constant practice.
- Pituitary gland located in the brain, the pineal gland is affected. Performing this mudra thrice is very beneficial.
- In headaches and migraines, doing Gyan Mudra and Prana Mudra together is more beneficial.
- This posture is essential for progress in the spiritual realm. With the continuous practice of Gyanmudra, the knowledge system of a human being develops. The sixth sense develops. The ability to know what is on one’s mind is attained. This mudra is mandatory in meditation and samadhi.
- It is beneficial in restlessness, insanity, irritability, anger, etc. This mudra provides peace, acts as a tranquillizer, hence beneficial in insomnia.
Note: If you want to start yoga classes at the comfort of your home then you can email us to join online yoga classes. We are always happy to help. Always make sure to contact your doctor whenever you are performing any new exercise.
Follow us on Facebook: Yoga Skilled