What is Insomnia?
Do you have trouble sleeping every day? Do you spend a lot of time trying to sleep but end up just switching sides on your bed every day?
Then, it could be insomnia. Insomnia is a very common problem, and every 20 to 30 per cent of individuals have it, at some point in their life. Most of us have it at some stage in our lives during exams, fight with a good friend or house member, financial problems or any other stressful event. It could be the reason for having disturbance in sleep or inability to fall asleep or maintaining sleep.
Insomnia could be defined as having difficulty in sleeping, short sleep cycle (2-3 hours), incomplete sleep, sleep break down at least three times in a week regularly for 1-3 months, whereas hypersomnia is excessive sleepiness.
If you have insomnia you may not feel refreshed when you wake up in the morning. Every individual must focus on this it is not only for people who have insomnia, but generally, we all must try to maintain certain sleep hygiene for the benefit of physical and psychological health. Let’s look at the points which are part of sleep hygiene.
Sometimes it happens that you are having trouble while trying to sleep because of some reasons like daily life stress. If you are having a sleep problem twice or thrice a month it is absolutely normal.
How much sleep is needed?
Whether you are able to sleep well at night or not. You might have noticed how much it affects your daily life. Sleep plays an essential role in our health. It strengthens your immunity, you feel energized. It balances your mood, if you sleep less you feel cheerful. If you sleep more than you might feel Depressed. Sleep helps in memory. Many students think they can study at night and will remember everything to score good marks, but it isn’t right you will feel tired when you wake up at morning for exams your memory will be weak.
Risk For Your Mental Health
Brain connection strong, growth hormones secreted at night. This hormone is necessary for growth if you sleep late this will affect your growth. It is essential to sleep 8-9 hours of sleep. If you are having trouble sleeping at night. You can feel tiredness, irritation & loss of memory. Insomnia could lead to Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia and many health issues. It is the symptom that can lead to mental disorder.
What Are The Causes Of Insomnia?
- Night Shifts It causes disruption in sleep when you are having a night shift to a day shift. It causes disturbance in your sleep cycle.
- Jet lag When you travel from one place to another. The time zone is a difference which also causes disruption in your sleep cycle.
- Emotional stress You are having stressful events in life that are making you think too much. You are getting stressed from thinking about the events.
- Mental disorder Depression, anxiety, and other mental disorder also causes sleep deprivation, and you feel restless and find it hard to sleep.
- Wrong addiction Drinking, smoking and other types of addiction which is harmful to your body and life. It also causes insomnia. It is a false lie that an individual thing that they will get good sleep after drinking. If you drink regularly you won’t be able to sleep and your sleep cycle will be affected.
- You must avoid caffeine in some instances even Tea because it also contains a small percentage of caffeine. You can drink it before your sleep time. The difference should be 7-8 hours in between.
- Avoid cigarette before sleep. The difference again will be the same as caffeine for 7-8 hours.
- Avoid daytime naps sometimes when your difficulty finding it to fall asleep in nights there can be this tendency to just take unknowingly or knowingly sleep during the day this can again lead to difficulty falling asleep.
- Your dinner time should be before 2-3 hours of your sleeping time. It takes time for your food to digest. You won’t able to sleep if you are trying to sleep after eating because your body is busy digesting the food.
- Watching TV and playing with gadgets before sleeping. You must avoid screen time before going to sleep to relax your brain.
How To Treat Insomnia?
1- Physical health is very important in having a good sleep rhythm and keep yourself fit. You know be jogging, running, yoga, hitting the gym or whatever it could be physical exercise is something very advisable especially for people who have sleep issues, but it must be remembered that vigorous exercise must not be done at least 4-6 hours before going to bed because you don’t want that adrenaline rush pumping before bedtime.
2- Reading can sometimes stimulate sleep so pick up a magazine or pick up a book, and it might stimulate you to sleep.
3- Warm shower near bedtime can be beneficial anywhere before like say 20 to 30 minutes before bedtime. It will the body to relax and calm down which eventually make you fall asleep.
4- Eat at regular times.
5- This is the most important things to maintain comfortable sleeping conditions. It is very important that the room that you sleep in must be quiet and dark during your bedtime at night. If possible try to stay away from the highways and the roadways noise the honks and the way traffic sounds can all lead to a disturbance in your sleep rhythm.
6- Enter your bedroom only when you are feeling sleepy. Before trying to fall asleep, try not to think about sleeping! It will make your brain start overthinking. Lying in bed for an hour unable to sleep because your mind is racing so only enter when you are actually sleepy. Start a conversation with your family before sleep. It will decrease stress levels.
7- Waking up at the same time every day likewise even going to bed also much more or less be around the same time every day and night. Limit the bedtime as compared to earlier sleep pattern should be the same time for your body to not get confused by the changes like before.
8- Use separate rooms for different activities. Never keep a television in your bedroom. Try some relaxing and soothing meditative music before going to sleep to prepare yourself.
9- If you feel you are incapable to fall asleep for say 5 to 10 minutes or 15 minutes. Get up or from the bed take a small walk around the hall to come back and try to sleep again rather than just struggling in the bed.
10- Yoga before bedtime, these are some yoga poses to try before going to bed to make you feel calm and relaxed. Hold these posture 2-3 mins according to your convenience. Remember these are only for relaxation and good night sleep.
- Warrior Pose 2 or वीरभद्रासन
- Cat and Cow Pose or मार्जरी और बिटिलासन
- Pawanmuktasana or पवनमुक्तासन
If you are following all these tips but still it is hard for you to sleep than you should visit a psychiatrist.
Note: If you want to start yoga classes at the comfort of your home then you can email us to join online yoga classes. We are always happy to help. Always make sure to contact your doctor whenever you are performing any new exercise.
Follow us on Facebook: Yoga Skilled